The increase in popularity of tattoos has led to a similar rise in tattoo removal, as people often live to regret their inking. However, with little in the way of regulation, the dangers of unqualified tattoo removal can be huge – at the moment anyone can buy a laser and offer tattoo removal with no training or experience whatsoever.
Every year, a significant number of people suffer from botched tattoo removal treatments, leading to burns, scars and other skin damage, so here are our top ten tips for avoiding the dangers.
- Check that your practitioner is appropriately qualified – at Laserase Bolton, all our treatments are carried out by fully trained and qualified doctors and nurses with over 10 years’ experience.
- Choose a reputable clinic. Laserase Bolton has successfully been carrying out laser tattoo removal for over 20 years and is registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
- Tattoo removal should only be carried out in a clean, safe and appropriate clinical environment – if you are in any doubt, don’t go ahead.
- Don’t be taken in by adverts for tattoo removal creams and other non-laser treatments. These are often presented as cheap, pain-free remedies but are ineffective and can even cause burns and scarring.
- Don’t even think about doing it yourself – more and more people are buying tattoo removal kits online but these may contain banned acids that are likely to seriously damage the skin.
- Make sure you get a free, no obligation consultation before treatment begins – at Laserase Bolton we always offer patients this, in order to assess their suitability for treatment and to discuss the different options available.
- You should never be put under pressure to undergo treatment if you are not comfortable with it and if you are in doubt you should always feel free to say no.
- The practitioner should assess your tattoo in person and give you an idea of the number of treatments needed and how much it will cost you. A tattoo can very rarely be removed in one treatment.
- You should be given detailed pre and after care instructions before treatment takes place. At Laserase Bolton, as well as providing this to patients, there is a lot of useful information on our website.
- Finally, do your research – talk to people, ask for testimonials and find out from friends and others who have had tattoo removal how they got on.